Sunday, December 29, 2013

Pre-production Planning - Poses

I used a wooden model to depict some poses which I was planning to try with my real life model. By doing this exercise I was able to see which poses are more effective, as well as disregard any which would have taken valuable shooting time away.
[From left to right]
1 - I intended this pose for the cover page. Conventionally, a mid shot would be used, meaning only the headstock would be visible in the final crop. This was not my intention, so the suitability of this pose would perhaps confine itself to the contents page.
2 - The most expressive pose, this would rely on the model lifting the guitar above their head at an angle. The angle created mimics that of the double page spread, and a slight crop to a mid shot could be equally effective. I am definitely going to experiment with this pose further to see the effects I can achieve.
3 - As I want the cover page to feature the letter 'A' in some way, by the guitar facing horizontal, the middle bar of the letter is implied. This pose is my most favourite for the cover due to this reason, and one I will try to recreate.
4 - The model itself was quite limited for this pose intended for the double page spread. I wanted to have the model leaning over in the same angle of the A, looking either meaningfully to the guitar or to the camera, as if they were playing it. This gives a sense of energy which much of the alternative rock genre possesses.
5 - Proposed for the contents page, the placement of the guitar in the foreground and the model in the background offers depth, with often the whole image encompassing the forward plain. The placement of the model's hand on it's hip adds attitude which could be addressed later on in the publication in the double page spread. As the guitar is level with the head, this could connote that the artist is putting their music first. I would like to try this pose with the model using both hands and the guitar centred, which could make an interesting cover photo. Also, if the guitar was titled to the right, the same photo could be used within the double page spread, making this a very versatile pose.
6 - Quite similar to number 5, this stance is less aggressive, with the guitar firmly by their side. I don't think this pose is as expressive as the others, although this did inspire me to think about the model leaning on the guitar, offering a casual pose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC; more resources at BlogXpertise