Friday, December 27, 2013

Pre-production Planning - DPS Flatplans


Originally, I had multiple ideas for the layout of the Double Page Spread. Firstly, I sketched six original designs, completely from memory. They all contain three very important elements, the title, article columns, and image.
[Going from left to right]
1 - This is a fairly unconventional layout with the image placed at the bottom, and a double page of three-column text above. I was particularly fascinated with partially overlaying the title with some subtitle text. This juxtaposition opens a wealth of opportunities, from making the subtitle partially transparent, to using contrasting colours to make either text stand out. I was planning to have the column text justified to create cleaner margins. Also, I thought it would be unique to have the model laying down stretching across both pages, adding a quirkier attitude which could be reflective of the artist's personality.
2 - More of an experiment, I wanted content to prevail over images, so included a full page of 4-column text. The top-left text box would include information about the images. I find this design too rigid for the publication, and the multiple images do not possess as much impact as a single image.
3 - Taking a more minimalistic approach, I think this layout would be more suited as an introduction page due to limited text space. I do admire the clean lines which are created from the alignment of text, and the full page image allows more creative freedom.
4 - Perhaps the most unconventional, this layout allows multiple stories and perhaps is more suited for a band offering different viewpoints. The odd shape of the image space would be difficult to work around, although the image transferring over two pages could create an interesting visual.
5 - Quite a conventional layout, I am not overwhelmed by this design. Whilst there's room for font experimentation and pull quotes, I think the design is quite limited. Once again though, the large space for the image offers a lot of freedom.
6 - Perhaps my most favourite of flat plans, the slanted image border mimics that of the letter 'A', which forms a major part of my masthead. I have multiple ideas as to how I can model the artist to incorporate this element, as well as possible ways to justify the border. The inclusion of a pull quote adds visual interest, and the large title demands attention. Furthermore, there is enough space for a full article, as well as possibilities to move various borders.

Above is my chosen flatplan for the double page spread. I adapted my sketch to include a subtitle and 3 columns, as well as moving the pull quote to the bottom and in-line with the article text, creating cleaner lines. Depending on my image (either full-shot or mid-shot) I may include another pull-quote or other text in the lower-right corner, as I did on my original draft. I used the same 'A' from the cover page flatplan, adding a sense of continuity throughout the publication. Whilst I am pleased with the overall conventional nature of the layout, I am concerned with the white space towards the top of the 'A'. This may compliment the chosen image, or could be distracting, leaving the spread look unfinished. If it is the latter, I will have to revise the border, and attempt to create the 'A' shape another way, even if it involves a transparent overlay.

Dimensions:
Column Margins: 15mm
Inner Margin: 5mm
Gutter: 5mm
Bleed: 15mm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC; more resources at BlogXpertise