Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Pre-production Planning - Font Samples

The body and header font combination for the double page spread is perhaps the most key design aspect of the page. I was concerned with readability, as well as how each font would compare against each other. I experimented with 5 fonts downloaded from Google Fonts. These included: Oswald, Lato, Open Sans, Roboto Slab & Roboto Sans.

At first, I placed three combinations on the page, consisting of: Oswald Regular & Roboto Sans Regular, Oswald Regular & Open Sans, and Roboto Sans Bold & Lato Light. The latter two from these sans-serif combinations are my favourites, with the lighter text complimenting the bolder header. I wanted to keep a sans-serif body text to maintain a sense of modernism which the publication shall possess.

From this, I wanted to see what a full page of body text would look like when paired with the header font, as the various sizes and densities of each font can limit the readability and overall aesthetics of the page.

I referred back to the original samples, before recreating the Oswald and Open Sans combination. It was by accident that I discovered how visually pleasing the all-capital lettered title looked in Oswald Regular, and decided to keep this feature to draw attention further. As to not attract away from the title but still draw attention, I lowered the pt size of the subheading and used Oswald Light. Open Sans Regular was used as the body text, and I believe the clear decrease in weights of the fonts creates a very pleasing layout. Furthermore, the complete use of sans-serif fonts reinforces the modern feel.

Upon searching Google Fonts further, I found a variation of the typeface Roboto Sans; Roboto Slab. I thought it would be interesting to combine sans-serif and serif versions of the same typeface, creating a visual interest. I like the impact of the bold title, which is furthered by the contrasting serif and sans-serif fonts. Despite this, I believe the more cleaner-looking sans-serif Oswald and Open Sans combination more suitable for my magazine.

Sample body text taken from here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC; more resources at BlogXpertise