Saturday, March 15, 2014

Critical Evaluation of First DPS Draft

Before gaining feedback from my target audience regarding the first double page spread draft, I printed a rough copy of the page in order to refine grammar and various other elements which weakened the overall composition of the page.

Above is the first revision of the page. I mainly focused on limiting the body text in order to have more room for other elements, hence not making the page look cramped. Grammatical errors have been highlighted, as well as elements which aren't as impactful as they should be. Namely, the standfirst appeared to blend into the body text, the pull quote did not add impact and was lacking quote marks, the subheading seemed incomplete, and the word credits were in the same weight. 

The image above demonstrates the revised changes to the standfirst and body text, as well as the removal of the pull quote and underlined standfirst. As the body text has been shortened by the changes, this allows space for the header to be moved down, yet this would be greatly limited by the inclusion of a pull quote. For the moment, I like how the text appears less cramped, although the large spaces left from the justified text are quite distracting. For this reason I shall experiment with having the text aligned to the left, which whilst creating a jagged margin, will remove the space errors.

This final image shows the last adjustments I needed to make in order to achieve the second draft of the DPS. Here I have added two pull quotes in a similar format to the original ones, but instead placing the lines at the side rather than top and bottom. Aligning the pull quotes proved difficult, however I thought it was vital in order to continue the clean lines of the page. Furthermore, I have added a small content section where there is information about a product endorsed by the artist, which is common for interviews to plug a product.

By focusing on the one page, I was able to notice details which may have been overlooked should I have focused on both pages. In my third draft, I shall focus on the other image-dominated page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC; more resources at BlogXpertise