Monday, January 13, 2014

Pre-production Planning - Cover Line Font

Referring back to the flatplan for the cover page, I had decided to feature six cover lines and one buzz and puff. The main cover line will be larger than the others and in a different font which will enable the reader to differentiate between the content. I aim to heighten this difference by using a unique font which is in a different style to the other cover lines. Considering the heavy san-serif presence, I have decided to experiment with using a brush-style serif font. I need this font to be feminine yet edgy, which emanates that of the cover star.

Firstly I completed some sketches of what I had in mind for the font. These will not be exactly copied as I plan for the final font to be more professional than what my current tracing skills could achieve. Nevertheless, the serifs and styles of my sketches will inspire my search.
These quite flowing sketches mimic that of brush style fonts, with the open 'Q' and flowing 'S' denoting quite feminine qualities.


First I looked online for possible fonts, starting with fontspace. I used the search tool to find fonts listed under the 'brush' tag, and limited my selection to just three fonts. These fonts are listed and explained below:



After viewing these fonts, I looked through my Font Book on my computer. This listed all of my downloaded fonts, and I discovered some which will also be suitable for the main cover line. As these have already been downloaded, I have lost the original source of these fonts. I presume that they would either come from fontpalace or lost type.



After considering all of these fonts, I have limited my selection further to just 4 possible fonts. My main criteria was: an edgy feel, feminine connotations, readability and brush style. I believe that the following fonts possess this, and when I come to construct my front cover I shall decide which is the most suitable.

When searching for the main cover line's font, I came across Bebas Neue from theultralinx.com, this is a 5 weighted font which will be perfect for keeping the cover lines consistent. I was quite certain that I wanted an all-capital letters font for the cover lines, as from my primary research, both Classic Rock and Clash feature their cover lines using just capital letters. Also, from doing some quick secondary research using google images, the majority of covers feature all capital letters as their font. From this, I believe it is safe to presume that capital letters for the cover lines are conventional. As the cover lines still need to make an impact, primarily using this font will suit this purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC; more resources at BlogXpertise