Saturday, February 08, 2014

Revised Contents Page Flatplans

A combination of the changes to my original cover intentions and techniques arisen from the InDesign workshop, I have decided to change my contents page flatplan quite drastically. As mentioned in the original flat plan post here, this plan was formed directly from the emphasis of angles in the 'A'. As I eventually decided not to use the slightly-transparent 'A' on my front cover to avoid clutter, I felt that this aspect was made redundant in both the contents page and double page spread.
Drawing inspiration from both my design inspiration Pinterest board and my original sketches, I have designed a conventional grid which could be flexible should problems arise. Looking back at my original designs, I had maintained either a 3 or 4 column layout. Considering the content which features in a conventional contents page, I have decided upon a 4 column layout, with a slight irregularity in the two middle, bottom-third, columns. This is to create a visual interest, giving the design a slight edge over a regular grid. This is consistent with the slight edginess which I tried to portray through the use of pose and font within my front cover.

Maintaining a vertical layout featured in all of my original sketches, I have allowed enough room for: 20 articles, social contact details, editorial panel and flannel panel. Keen to include all of these conventional elements, I believe if I stick to my design intentions I can achieve a contents page which is informative without looking cluttered.

Furthermore, looking back at my College Magazine project, a similar vertical layout was used which was very effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC; more resources at BlogXpertise